EMERGENCY SHUT-OFF PROCEDURES
Do You Have a Plumbing Emergency?
In the event of water leaks or flooding, you can reduce the risk of water damage by shutting off your water source. Whether you have a leaking water heater, a leaking plumbing fixture, or you need your main water supply closed off, you can count on our Advanced Plumbing and Rooter Service team. Pick the issue that best applies to your situation below and follow the instructions to perform an emergency water shut off.
You can also call your local water department for help.
Leaking Water Heater
- Turn off the gas or electricity to the water heater.
- For gas water heaters: Turn the knob on top of the thermostat clockwise to the off position. The thermostat is located near the bottom of the water heater.
- For electric water heaters: Go to your circuit breaker panel, find the breaker for your water heater, and switch it to the off position.
- Turn the water supply off by twisting the handle on the water supply shut-off valve clockwise until it stops. This valve is typically located on top of the water heater, on the right side cold line.
- Drain the water heater if necessary to avoid water damage. First, attach a garden hose to the drain faucet located at the bottom of the water heater. Run the other end of the hose to a lower location where hot or rusty water will not cause damage. Open the drain faucet on the water heater. Also open a hot water faucet in the house to allow air to enter the water heater as water drains.
Main Water Supply Shut-Off
Turn off the main water valve in a clockwise direction until the water shuts off. This valve is typically located in front of the house just below the garden hose faucet. After shutting the main water supply off, open up an outside faucet to allow the pressure to be relieved and excess water in the system to drain outside.
Shut off the main water supply from the city, located in the water meter box, usually underground near the street. A meter key is most likely required to shut this valve off.
Leaking Plumbing Fixture
Turn the water supply off by twisting the handle on the water supply shut-off valve clockwise until it stops. This valve is typically located on the flex line or feed pipe going into the plumbing fixture. It may be just behind or just below the fixture (i.e. toilets, sinks, washing machine). In some cases where the supply valve is not readily accessible, you will need to turn off the main water supply.